Courtesy of Amy McGinness of Black Creek Veterinary Hospital
  • Spoons, Cash, Underwear: Bizarre Items Dog Eat

    Hooch, a young hound mix from the Middleburg, Fla. area, found some leftover materials from a building project appealing. He swallowed a mixture of nails, screws and staples. After surgery, though, his vet, Amy McGinness, says Hooch is doing well.
    Courtesy of Amy McGinness of Black Creek Veterinary Hospital
  • Spoons, Cash, Underwear: Bizarre Items Dog Eat

    Veterinarians removed 309 nails, screws, and staples from Hooch's body.
    Courtesy of Amy McGinness of Black Creek Veterinary Hospital
  • Spoons, Cash, Underwear: Bizarre Items Dog Eat

    Radiograph showing the items Hooch swallowed.
    Courtesy of Amy McGinness of Black Creek Veterinary Hospital
  • My Dog Ate What?

    Luciano from Bethesda, Md., is a 130-pound Rottweiler, whose appetite has gotten him into some trouble with his owners, Deedee, a realtor, and Chris, a documentary photojournalist. The worst offense: when he ate Deedee's engagement ring.
    © Chris Lofft/National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    At a cost of $300, an X-ray confirmed that Luciano had eaten the precious ring.
    © Nancy Glass Productions/National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    To get her engagement ring back for her wedding, Luciano's owner had to sift through many of the pup's "deposits."
    © Nancy Glass Productions/National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    Fred, a beagle-whippet-Lab mix from New York, found herself homeless in Mississippi after Hurricane Gustav. Jen Lee, a real estate broker, and Luke Miller, a manufacturer, adopted Fred and learned she was a "curious" pup. In her first week in New York, Fred ate grapes, which can be poisonous to dogs. The vet had to induce vomiting. Fred later ate chocolate, which earned her another trip to the vet. Then there was the ingestion that put her in much more danger than before, glue and a cell phone charger.
    © Luke Miller & Jennifer Lee/National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    An X-Ray shows the giant glob of glue with small, sharp metal wires from the cell phone charger that Fred ate mixed in. It posed an immediate threat to Fred's stomach and intestines, leaving surgery the only option. The bill totaled more than $3,500.
    National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    Soon after being adopted from a rescue group last year, Bogie, a Saint Bernard from Anaheim, Calif., started having seizures. The vet diagnosed him with epilepsy and was able to control his seizures with medication. One day, while taking his epilepsy medicine, Bogie swallowed the spoon it was on.
    © Nancy Glass Productions/National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    The X-ray showed the spoon Bogie ingested.
    © Nancy Glass Productions/National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    Dr. Kathleen Johnson at Yorba Regional Animal Hospital in Anaheim, Calif., performed surgery on Bogie at a cost of $2,000. According to VPI, a pet insurance company, the removal of foreign objects cost their policyholders more than $5 million in 2009.
    © Nancy Glass Productions/National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    Steve, a shepherd-husky mix from Los Angeles, ingested hundreds of small rocks.
    © Nancy Glass Productions/National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    An X-ray shows hundreds of rocks in Steve's stomach.
    © Nancy Glass Productions/National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    Steve's owner Rebecca, a vet technician at Beverly Hills Small Animal Hospital, treated him at her animal hospital.
    © Nancy Glass Productions/National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    Branson, from Los Angeles, got into trouble when two-and-a-half-year-old triplets joined his family. The loving pup ate 27 pacifiers.
    © Nancy Glass Productions/National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    An X-ray shows the pacifiers that Branson ingested.
    National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    Dr. Heather Mineo at Animal Critical Care and Internal Medicine in Tustin, Calif., performed surgery to remove the 27 pacifiers.
    © Nancy Glass Productions/National Geographic
  • My Dog Ate What?

    Joe's dinner cost a pretty penny. The chocolate Lab ate $800 worth of bills. His owner told his story as part of the National Geographic Wild series, "<a href="http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/wild/shows-my-dog-ate-what " target="external">My Dog Ate What?</a>," which airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET.
    National Geographic
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
See It, Share It
PHOTO: Year In Pictures
Damien Meyer/AFP/Getty Images
PHOTO: James Franco and Seth Rogen in The Interview.
Ed Araquel/Sony/Columbia Pictures/AP Photo
PHOTO: Patrick Crawford is pictured in this photo from his Facebook page.
Meteorologist Patrick Crawford KCEN/Facebook
PHOTO: George Stinney Jr., the youngest person ever executed in South Carolina, in 1944, is seen in this undated file photo.
South Carolina Department of Archives and History/AP Photo