Kabul Hotel Attack Exclusive: Afghans Couldn't Stop Suicide Attackers Alone, Afghan Police Admit

VIDEO: New images reveal Afghan police takedown of suicide bombers.

In the most extensive account yet provided of the siege of Kabul's Intercontinental Hotel, Afghan police and hotel officials described how a relatively undisciplined group of suicide bombers kept Afghan forces at bay for hours -- and was only subdued thanks to a NATO helicopter and NATO special forces operating inside the hotel.

Their descriptions contradict NATO officials' claims that its forces were barely needed and that Afghan forces secured the hotel themselves. The revelations come as Afghan forces are expected to take over security operations from the U.S. in seven cities or areas of Afghanistan starting later this month.

For the first time, a senior police official admitted that his forces could not have retaken the hotel without the help of international troops shooting down onto the roof from the helicopter. He also admitted that one of his men accidentally shot and wounded a New Zealand special forces soldier who was in the hotel embedded with the Afghan police. An intelligence official also acknowledged that initially, none of the Afghan police who guard the hotel responded to the attackers in any way.

READ: Afghan Officials Won't Be Deterred By 'Coward Enemies'

The Afghan officials gave ABC News a tour of the hotel where suicide bombers blew themselves up in hallways, stairwells, and rooms, blanketing the hotel with the stench of rotten flesh. The top floor conference room is completely burned out and the roof is scarred with dozens of pock marks from the suicide attackers' machine guns and from NATO bullets shot from a helicopter.

Watch the full report tonight on ABC News' "World News With Diane Sawyer"

The officials also described moments during the more than four-hour siege that suggest the team of nine suicide bombers were not as well disciplined as previously believed. A hotel employee said two suicide attackers entered the area around the pool, where hundreds of guests were having dinner, and yelled in Pashto that the guests should all leave. But immediately after, a third attacker appeared and started shooting at the same guests who had just been warned.

Follow BrianRoss on Twitter

A police official showed a room where a suicide bomber blew himself up. The room belonged to an Afghan politician, but it was empty at the time, and the suicide bomber killed nobody except himself.

In other ways, though, the attackers appeared to have a plan and stuck to it. A hotel official described how one of the suicide bombers entered the hotel and immediately forced a hotel porter to lead three attackers to the roof through a complicated set of stairs. When they arrived, the attackers let the porter go and set up heavy machine guns they used to keep Afghan police and soldiers away from the hotel. They were only killed after the NATO helicopter arrived.

A NATO spokesman defended the action of the Afghan security forces, calling the raid Afghan-led and describing the helicopter as an "an intimidation factor."

"It enabled the Afghan security forces-led operation to be brought to a swifter conclusion," said Maj. Jason Waggoner, a NATO spokesman in Kabul.

But the senior Afghan police official said his men were finding it impossible to get anywhere close to the roof before the helicopter arrived. Three machine guns placed on the roof were keeping them away, as were the other attackers, who were roaming the halls by that point.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...