Raven Maria Blanco Foundation
  • Dental Danger

    Raven Blanco was eight years old when she died shortly after she visited the dentist and received what the Virginia Board of Dentistry said was "three times the average range" of sedatives. Critics say the explosion of dentists treating young patients using sedation is fueled in part by the desire to increase profits by treating pediatric patients more quickly and efficiently by sedating them.
    Raven Maria Blanco Foundation
  • Dental Danger

    After Raven's death, her family started a foundation in her name and on the foundation's website, pictures of other children who have died shortly after going to dentist are posted. Diamond Brownridge, pictured above, was five years old when she died after a dental appointment in which she was put under with sedatives.
    Raven Maria Blanco Foundation
  • Dental Danger

    Dylan "Dilli Man" Stewart, 5, died after being sedated during what local reports called a "routine dental appointment" in Florida in 2010. A family friend told Ocala.com the boy "never had any medical problems," before his death.
    Raven Maria Blanco Foundation
  • Dental Danger

    Last December Jennifer Olenick, 17, had surgery to remove her wisdom teeth but died during the surgery. Her parents sued the dentist and the anesthesiologist, claiming the pair failed to resuscitate their daughter when her heart rate and blood oxygen levels dropped.
    Raven Maria Blanco Foundation
  • Dental Danger

    Little Maddoux Cordova was just 22 months old when he fell unconscious after a treatment for tooth decay that involved the sedative morphine, according to The San Antonio Express-News. After two weeks in the hospital, Maddoux was taken off life support.
    Raven Maria Blanco Foundation
  • Dental Danger

    The family of Marissa Kingery, 13, reportedly won a $1 million settlement from an insurance company of a dentist who sedated her during a dental procedure last year. A coroner ruled the death an accident, but said the teen had been sedated with four drugs including propofol ? an anesthetic linked to Michael Jackson's death.
    Raven Maria Blanco Foundation
  • Dental Danger

    Sherral Magana was four years old when she died after she went under general anesthesia for basic dental work in 2005. Sherral's mother said that other than a cough, the child was healthy the day she died. "We seen the ambulance [sic]. We ran inside. The next thing you know, we went to the hospital and my baby was dead," Sherral's mother told ABC News' Frenso affiliate KFSN.
    Raven Maria Blanco Foundation
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
See It, Share It
PHOTO: A home damaged by a landslide Friday, April 18, 2014 in Jackson, Wyo. is shown in this aerial image provided by Tributary Environmental.
Tributary Environmental/AP Photo
null
Danny Martindale/Getty Images
PHOTO: Woman who received lab-grown vagina says she now has normal life.
Metropolitan Autonomous University and Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine