The Blotter: Brian Ross Investigates

Teen: I Am Not the Boston Marathon Bomber

PHOTO: Salah Barhoun, 17, said he went to the police yesterday to clear his name after he found himself tagged in pictures online in connection to the Boston Marathon bombing.

The teenage boy authorities once investigated as possibly being connected to the Boston Marathon bombing told ABC News today he was shocked to see his face pop up on television and all over social media.

Salah Barhoun, 17, said he went to the police yesterday to clear his name after he found himself tagged in pictures online. He had just gone to watch the race, he said, but soon after the explosions, he was singled out by internet sleuths as looking suspicious. Federal authorities passed around images of Barhoun, attempting to learn more information about him, sources told ABC News.

Today The New York Post ran a story featuring a picture of Barhoun and another man circled in red, but said it was unclear if they were the same as two potential suspects spotted by law enforcement Wednesday.

Aaron "Tango" Tang
Salah Barhoun, 17, said he went to the police... View Full Size
PHOTO: Salah Barhoun, 17, said he went to the police yesterday to clear his name after he found himself tagged in pictures online in connection to the Boston Marathon bombing.
Aaron "Tango" Tang
Salah Barhoun, 17, said he went to the police yesterday to clear his name after he found himself tagged in pictures online in connection to the Boston Marathon bombing.
Teen: I Am Not the Marathon Bomber Watch Video
Teen Denies He's the Marathon Bomber Watch Video
Identifying the Boston Marathon Bomber Watch Video

PHOTOS: Terror at the Boston Marathon

When he saw the front page story, with the headline "Bag Men," Barhoun said, "It's the worst feeling that I can possibly feel… I'm only 17."

ABC News producers found Barhoun through social media and spoke to him today at his home. He said he had actually wanted to run the race and when he couldn't, decided to watch.

COMPLETE COVERAGE: Terror at the Boston Marathon

Barhoun's younger brother, who declined to be identified, said that it made his mother "sick and upset" that her son had been connected to the tragedy.

"It made her think he had done something wrong," the younger brother said. "My brother is not the bomber."

Federal law enforcement sources told ABC News they are no longer seeking information about Barhoun or the other man in the photo published in the Post.

Have a tip related to this or another investigation? CLICK HERE to send it in.

CLICK HERE to return to The Investigative Unit homepage.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook
Comment & Contribute
Do you have more information about this topic? If so, please click here to contact the editors of ABC News.
 
You Might Also Like...
Connect with Us
Social Tools Facebook Twitter Twitter Connect with Us YouTube RSS
ABC News Newsletters
 
Today in ABC News
1