Michael Jackson's Friend Not Convinced Pepsi Accident Caused Lifelong Addiction

"If you talk to anyone who knew him, well, they'd tell you the same thing -- he was a really good guy," Brando said. "He was just an extraordinary human being."

Did Pepsi Commercial Accident Start Obsession With Plastic Surgery?

The raw footage shot for the Pepsi commercial was shot on Jan. 27, 1984, at Los Angeles' Shrine Auditorium.

Jackson can be seen on the shoot's sixth take, descending a flight of stairs when the pyrotechnics on stage go off early and engulf the singer's head in flames.

At first Jackson, wearing a sequined shirt, jacket and signature glove -- continues to dance unaware as flames and smoke emanate from his hair. As the fireball grows around his head, he is set upon by members of the crew who tamp out the flames.

In the video, one can easily observe a large red bald spot in the center of Jackson's head after the flames have been extinguished.

Jackson suffered second- and third-degree burns to his scalp and the back of his head, prompting him to begin using and then abusing painkillers, he would later admit.

Us Weekly, which contains pictures of the incident, hits newsstands Friday. The magazine, which has not said how it obtained the Pepsi commercial footage, suggested that the accident kicked off Jackson's obsession with plastic surgery.

The then 25-year-old Jackson was taken by ambulance to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

"Michael is quite shocked. He's fortunate that there were no injuries to his face," Dr. Steve Hoefflin told reporters at the time of the accident. "At this time, I don't think skin grafts are necessary."

Hoefflin is now retired and could not be reached by ABC News.com.

"Within two weeks of the fire, Michael was back on his feet and in good spirits," Jay Coleman, the agent who repped Jackson when he cut the deal with Pepsi, told ABC News.com.

Coleman was not at the shoot but said the accident made front-page news, and the ads were run on the television news weeks before they officially ran as paid spots beginning in February 1984.

Friends, Law Enforcement Confirm Intravenous Drug Use

Friends and associates of Jackson have said they routinely tried to stage interventions to help the singer kick his habit, but they were routinely rebuffed or pushed away.

Friends and family "were very, very scared about these things and we talked together how can we take care of this, but it was very complicated," said Deiter Wiesner, Jackson's former business manager.

A senior law enforcement official confirmed to ABC News that Jackson was "heavily addicted" to the painkiller Demerol and received "daily doses" of OxyContin. His body was found covered in track marks consistent with intravenous drug use.

It has been widely reported that in addition to Demerol and OxyContin, Jackson also abused the anti-anxiety drug Xanax and the antidepressant Zoloft in the months before his death.

In 2002, Jackson was ordered to undergo a medical examination after he failed to show up in a California courtroom in a trial over breach of contract because the pop star said he had a spider bite.

Marc Schaffel, a former associate of Jackson, however, said it was not a spider bite but a problem caused by a broken IV needle.

"He had the IV stuff back then," Schaffel previously told ABC News. "It wasn't a spider bite. It was an IV he pulled out his leg. The needle broke off."

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
  • |
  • 3
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...