• Graham held patents as diverse as mathematics and Morse code systems.
• Warren Buffet gave his first son the middle name "Graham" in honor of his teacher.
• A year after their first son, Newton, died at age 8, Graham and Hazel had a second son. They named him Newton, too. Decades later, the second Newton committed suicide in France.
• Graham's mother Dora was robbed and murdered on the way home from a bridge game in 1944.
• After Graham and his third wife moved to Beverly Hills, movie star Glenn Ford was the leader of their son's Boy Scout troop.
• While the family was living in Beverly Hills, Graham set up housekeeping with his deceased son's French lover in San Diego.
Carlen's writing style is not the easy read that Graham's The Intelligent Investor is.
His research captures voices that could have been lost to history, though. He interviewed Graham associates from Warren Buffett to 106-year-old Irving Kahn, who is still working on Wall Street.
Carlen also asked precise questions and got thoughtful answers from Graham's surviving family members.
Canavan is a freelance writer based in Wilmington, Del.