Hollywood Shut Down in Wake of Terrorist Attacks

The nation's entertainment capital shut down on Tuesday as two major awards shows and a Madonna concert were canceled, and most of Hollywood's big studios closed their doors in response to horrific terrorist attacks in New York and Washington, D.C.

Latin Grammys Canceled, Primetime Emmys Postponed The 2nd annual Latin Grammy Awards show had ironically been moved to Los Angeles from Miami for security reasons last month amid fears that anti-Castro demonstrations protesting the presence of Cuban artists might get out of hand.

Organizers of the star-studded music gala said on Tuesday that the $4 million production, which was to have been broadcast in the United States and 120 other countries, was canceled.

"Who wants to be in a public place with thousands of people under these circumstances?" said one Latin music executive. Guitarist Carlos Santana was among those scheduled to perform at the event.

Organizers of Sunday's 53rd annual Primetime Emmy Awards said the ceremony was postponed indefinitely "out of respect for the victims, their families, and our fellow citizens," said Jim Chabin, president of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. "We will set no new date until we find out the extent of this tragedy and the national mourning that's going to take place," Chabin told The Associated Press. Television and Film Production Halted Hollywood's big studios, from AOL Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. to Sony Corp's Sony Pictures to Vivendi Universal's Universal Studios, closed their doors Tuesday and instructed staff to go home as the country remained in a state of shock.

The major U.S. television networks canceled regular programming to allow for blanket coverage of the events. NBC said production has been halted for the week for its late night programs hosted by Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien. According to The Hollywood Reporter, location shoots for ABC's Thieves, CBS' Judging Amy, and Fox's The X-Files, were all shut down Tuesday. "We have not denied any permits and have not requested any production companies to shut down, but we have informed them that police and fire departments are on high alert and that may impact some productions' ability to shoot if using pyrotechnics or gunfire," Morrie Goldman, VP of Communication for the Entertainment Industry Development Corp., which handles permitting for the Los Angeles area told the Reporter. Staples Center 'In Lock-Down Mode' A Madonna concert, scheduled for Tuesday night at the Los Angeles Staples Center, which seats 20,000, was also canceled.

"We're in lock-down mode and on high security," said Lee Zeidman, senior vice president of operations for the Staples Center. He said the pop diva's shows on Thursday and Friday were still scheduled to go on at this point.

Walt Disney Co., whose parks and cartoon characters like Mickey Mouse are symbols of America at home and abroad are considered terrorist targets, said that Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in Southern California closed Tuesday, but reopened Wednesday. (Mr. Showbiz and ABC are owned by the Walt Disney Co.)

Reuters contributed to this story.

Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...