Eminem is hoping that a second plea deal will help him weather the accusations stemming from a crazy June weekend without spending time in jail.
The rap star, whose real name is Marshall Mathers III, pleaded guilty to a weapons charge earlier this month in Macomb County, Mich., and received two years of probation. Eminem was accused of pistol-whipping a man seen kissing his wife, Kim, outside a Warren nightclub on June 4 — but the assault charge was dropped in exchange for the plea.
Now the 28-year-old rapper has to deal with two more charges, stemming from an incident on the day before (June 3), in which he's accused of carrying a concealed weapon (a felony charge) and brandishing a gun in public (a misdemeanor charge). Eminem was in an argument with associates of rival Detroit rappers Insane Clown Posse when the incident allegedly occurred.
The felony charge is punishable by a maximum of five years in jail, and the misdemeanor carries a maximum penalty of 90 days.
However, Mark Bilkovic, assistant prosecutor for Oakland County, told the Detroit Free Press that if Eminem pleads guilty, he will not push for jail time.
"He could plead straight up and work out a sentencing deal with the judge," Bilkovic told the paper. "In a case like this, I wouldn't go in screaming for jail time. The majority of the people in his situation that commit this type of offense usually receive probation."
Eminem's attorney, Wally Piszczatowski, told The Associated Press that he is continuing to talk with prosecutors, and that his aim is to keep the rapper on probation.