"Sully" landed in the top spot at the box office over the weekend.
The Clint Eastwood-directed drama, starring Tom Hanks as Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, opened in first place after earning an estimated $35.5 million.
The film tells the story of how the pilot guided a disabled plane onto the Hudson River in early 2009 and the aftermath.
The thriller "When the Bough Breaks" debuted in second place over the weekend, raising $15 million.
The horror film "Don't Breathe," which had been box office champ the previous two weekends, rounded out the top three.
The new horror film "The Disappointments Room," starring Kate Beckinsale, didn't crack the top 10.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales, according to comScore:
- 1. Sully, $35.5 million.
- 2. When the Bough Breaks, $15 million.
- 3. Don't Breathe, $8.2 million.
- 4. Suicide Squad, $5.7 million.
- 5. The Wild Life, $3.4 million.
- 6. Kubo and the Two Strings, $3.2 million.
- 7. Pete's Dragon, $2.9 million.
- 8. Bad Moms, $2.8 million.
- 9. Hell or High Water, $2.6 million.
- 10. Sausage Party, $2.3 million.