So here you have it: the best beauty products for 2007. But before you begin, you must hold your mascara tube high, repeat and swear by The Beauty Buyble Ten Commandments:
1. This is THE Beauty Buyble, you shall have no other publications before it.
2. Be true to your own beauty; rely not on beauty counter makeovers for your look.
3. You shall not take Chanel's name in vain.
4. Remember the body and keep it moisturized daily.
5. Honor your roots; 1/4 inch and get thee some color.
6. Never leave the house without wearing an SPF of 15 or greater.
7. Cheat not on your hairstylist or colorist -- they always know.
8. You shall not use lipstick as rouge -- you're not fooling anyone.
9. Cleanliness is next to godliness -- never go to bed with your makeup on.
10. You shall not covet your best friend's Beauty Buyble; buy your own!
Selecting the right shampoo for your hair is like winning the Oscar. Your scalp will shout out "You like me, you really like me!"
Without a good shampoo, your hair is just, well, poo. And nobody wants a head full of poo after all (our friends at Devachan will explain later in this chapter).
Eva Scrivo, Dove Hair Care Creative Consultant and New York City salon owner, offers the following tips on the subject of shampoo:
Select the proper shampoo and conditioner for your hair type.
For normal to oily hair, use a shampoo that thoroughly cleans the hair without stripping it. Brush normal to oily hair at least twice daily to distribute your hair's natural oils evenly along the hair shaft. Infrequent brushing can make your hair seem greasier than it really is, because oils stay deposited at your scalp.
Fine, thin hair needs products that give it volume.
Color-treated hair needs a shampoo and conditioner with a formula containing antioxidants and UV protectants to keep it from fading in the sun. Applying a styling product to finish your look also helps protect your hair from the sun and wind.
Dry, damaged hair can rear its ugly head. If you're having trouble combing through your hair after washing it, then you need a moisturizing conditioner to smooth the breakage. Eva also recommends applying a weekly deep conditioning treatment immediately after washing. Wrap hair in a towel and let it sit for about twenty minutes to give hair a smooth, shiny appearance.
SHAMPOO QUICK TIP: Celebrity stylist Oscar Blandi, who creates stylish, sexy cuts for Ashley Judd, Sandra Bullock, and Reese Witherspoon, says, "You should always shampoo with medium temperature water; not too hot, not too cold. It may take a bit longer to rinse, but harsh temperatures will stress your hair out. Rinse with cool water to lock the product under the cuticle."
Dry Hair Shampoos
Your hair and scalp are as dry as the Sahara and you don't have a clue what to do. The answer, my friend, isn't blowin' in the wind. No, ma'am. Dry hair needs body, reinforcement, and protection.
HIGH Fresh Rice Shampoo ($24)
This shampoo gives super creamy lather a new definition -- it's like a day spa for overworked, dry hair. Hair heaven is yours with this shampoo, oh, and the exotic Asian pear and persimmon are positively intoxicating scents for your head.
HIGH Shampoo di Jasmine Smoothing Shampoo ($20)