• 1 large egg white
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
• 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
• 5 cups freshly popped unsalted popcorn (air popped)
• 1 cup whole grain cereal such as Wheat Chex
• 3/4 cup roasted peanuts
• 3/4 cup whole toasted almonds
• 3/4 cup cashews
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together egg white, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and paprika. Add remaining ingredients and salt to taste, and toss until thoroughly coated. Spread evenly in shallow large baking pan that has been sprayed with vegetable oil spray. Bake on middle shelf of oven until crisp, about 15 to 20 minutes. Spread mixture on large sheet of parchment paper or oiled foil and let cool completely. Makes about 6 cups
Peanut Dipping Sauce:
• 1/2 cup smooth unsalted peanut butter
• 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
• 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add water if necessary to make a good dipping consistency. Makes about 1 1/3 cups.
Pimento Cheese Dip
• 1/2 of a 4-ounce jar of pimentos, chopped with half the liquid from the jar
• 1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
• 1/2 pound shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• 1 percent milk for thinning the mixture
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Add just enough milk to make a good dipping consistency. Makes 2 cups.
Recipes courtesy of Sara Moulton, copyright 2005.