Tiger Woods' Reputed Lover Rachel Uchitel: 'Tiger And I Are Not Friends'

Woods will not participate in any other tournaments for the rest of 2009 and plans to return to action next year.

The golf star's absence at the tournament continues days of silence for Woods, who has stayed mum since plowing his SUV into a tree on his Florida property early Friday morning.

Despite inviting investigators to speak with him three times and then backing out, Woods has not made a statement to police, and his lawyer indicated to ABC News that he likely never would.

Sunday, Woods broke his silence about the SUV accident, issuing a statement calling the incident "a private matter."

The Florida Highway Patrol released a statement Monday saying that Woods has provided investigators with only his driver's license information, vehicle registration and current proof of insurance.

"The crash investigation is ongoing and charges are pending," according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Woods' lawyer, Mark NeJame, told ABC News Sunday, "We stand by his [Woods'] previously released statement, regarding his privacy," and said neither he nor Woods would be making comments to anybody, including, in Woods' case, the police.

Brennan said that regardless of what comes of the accident, it's unlikely Woods' relatively pristine public image would be badly tarnished.

"Obviously, Tiger Woods and his people are very controlled, very disciplined -- he's possibly the most disciplined athlete on the planet," Brennan said. "I don't think he has anything to worry about with the current endorsers. [But] I don't know that others will be jumping on the bandwagon this week. .... My sense is that Tiger will be just fine in the long run."

Woods Refuses Cop Talk for Third Time

Sunday the Florida Highway Patrol released audio of a 911 call by a neighbor reporting the accident and said that for the third time, Woods refused to talk with officers.

"Just after 1 p.m., lawyer Mark NeJame contacted the Florida Highway Patrol to inform us that he is representing Tiger Woods," read a statement from highway patrol spokeswoman Sgt. Kim Montes. "NeJame stated that the interview that was scheduled for today has been canceled. ... The traffic crash remains under investigation and charges are pending."

Investigators previously were turned away at Woods' Orange County, Fla., home both Friday and Saturday.

If Woods, 33, and his wife, Elin Nordegren, 29, choose to say nothing, officials simply may proceed with the investigation without their statement.

Woods and his wife are not required to give a statement to police about the accident, but if either does it must be truthful, Florida legal experts said. If not, they added, there is a slim chance they could be charged with resisting arrest without violence, a misdemeanor with a maximum penalty of a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Rather than speaking to police, Woods appealed directly to the public on his TigerWoods.com home page.

"As you all know, I had a single-car accident earlier this week, and sustained some injuries. I have some cuts, bruising and right now I'm pretty sore," his statement said.

"This situation is my fault," it continued, "and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me. I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again. This is a private matter, and I want to keep it that way. Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible. "

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
  • |
  • 3
  • |
  • 4
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...