Marco Borges' Platanos Maduros (Sweet Plantains) a la Mode
This Sweet Treat Is Love at First Bite!
Marco Borges, who trains the superstar Beyonce, appeared on “GMA” today to promote “22-Day Revolution,” his new cookbook highlighting the benefits of a vegan diet. This dish features delicious plantains and coconut ice cream.
1. Heat one tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Cut off the ends of the plantains and draw a sharp knife along the ridges, lengthwise, making 2 to 3 slits down the peel from one end to the other.
3. Carefully peel off the skin in sections
4. Slice each plantain diagonally into ½ inch thick oval slices. Evenly coat slices with coconut palm sugar or maple syrup and cinnamon.
5. Cook the plantains in the hot skillet for about 4 minutes on each side until soft and caramelized.
6. Serve and top the plantains with a scoop of Coconut Ice Cream or Banana Soft Serve and a sprinkle of coconut palm sugar.
Per serving: 357 calories, 2 grams protein, 54 grams carbohydrates, 17 grams total fat
Recipe courtesy Marco Borges. Copyright © 2016 by Marco Borges. Used with permission of Penguin Random House.
Recipe styled by Karen Pickus, chef/food stylist, "Good Morning America.”