Diane Sawyer shared her recipe for Mom's Meatloaf as part of Good Morning America's "We're Cookin' Now" series.
The hearty family recipe, which can be made into meatloaf sandwiches, was created by Sawyer's mother.
Mom's Meatloaf Ingredients
• 2 lbs. ground beef • 4-5 slices of white bread toasted and finely crumbled, to make 1 cup • 3/4 cup whole milk • 1 egg • 4-5 canned plum tomatoes drained and diced or 3/4 cup diced canned tomatoes, drained • 3 tbs. finely chopped sweet onion • 3 tbs. finely chopped green pepper • 3 tbs.finely chopped celery • 1/4 cup ketchup • 2 tsp. salt • 1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
• 1 cup ketchup
• 1 tbsp. mayonnaise • 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard • 1 tbsp. ketchup • 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. Heinz 57 sauce • 1 tbsp. A-1 sauce • 1/4 tsp. salt • 1 pinch ground black pepper
Meatloaf Sandwich Ingredients
• 16 slices of white, rye or whole wheat bread • 8 tbs. sweet butter, softened • 1 sweet onion sliced thin • 3 ripe tomatoes sliced • 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 2. In a large mixing bowl combine the toasted bread crumbs, the milk and the egg. Mix together with a fork. Let stand 10 minutes. 3. Add the meat, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, celery,1/4 cup ketchup, and the salt and pepper. Mix together with your hands.
4. Put into a 9x5x3 inch glass loaf pan pressing lightly. Shape it into a loaf.
5. Pour the cup of ketchup over the whole top. 6. Place the loaf into the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees (check with an instant read thermometer).
7. Let stand in juices until cool and firmer.
To Make Sandwiches
1. In a medium bowl, mix the sauce ingredients together with a spoon. Set aside.
2. Cut the meatloaf into 8 thick slices.
3. Spread softened butter on both sides of each slice of bread.
4. In a large frying pan "grill" each slice of bread on both sides until golden brown.
5. Then "grill' each meatloaf slice on both sides, in the same frying pan until browned nicely. (you may have to do this a few slices at a time).
6. Top one side of grilled slice of bread with some of the sauce. 7. Place one slice of meatloaf on top of the sauce.
8. Place sliced tomato, onion and lettuce on top. 9. Top with more sauce, then another slice of grilled bread, and serve. Repeat 7 more times.
Makes 8 sandwiches