Good Morning America weather forecaster Tony Perkins has a favorite dinner recipe that calls for picking up the phone and dialing a Chinese restaurant for takeout.
But this week, as the Good Morning America family shares its favorite recipes for our "We're Cooking Now" series, Perkins rolled up his sleeves and got out the cutting board. Here is his Chinese cuisine entree, Triple Delight.
Triple Delight Ingredients and Directions
• 3/4 teaspoon five spice powder • 2 teaspoons sugar • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oyster sauce • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce • 4 tablespoons of chicken stock • 1 tablespoon corn starch • 4 ounces of thinly sliced chicken breast, skinless and boneless • 8 large shrimp peeled and de-veined • 4 ounces thinly sliced beef tenderloin • 1/2 cup snow peas • 1/2 cup bamboo shoots • 1/2 cup baby corn • 1/2 cup water chestnuts • 1/4 Chinese black mushrooms (optional)
1. In a small bowl, with a wire whisk or fork, combine 5-spice powder, sugar, oyster sauce and soy sauce. Set aside.
2. Place the corn starch in another small bowl and whisk in the chicken stock until corn starch is combined, with no lumps remaining. Set aside.
3. Thinly slice the chicken. Wash the shrimp, patting dry with paper towels. Thinly slice the beef.
4. In a wok, or large frying pan, over high heat, add the peanut oil. When oil is hotadd the chicken and shrimp. Stir with two long-handled spoons until chicken is almost cooked, about one minute. Add beef, and stir to sear it. Add the spice sauce mixture and stir to coat.
5. Add the vegetables all at once and stir to coat. Add the chicken stock mixture. Bring quickly to a boil. Spoon onto a serving platter. Serve with steamed rice. Serves four.
Recipe by Karen Pickus, Chef Good Morning America, © 2002.