Take advantage of the season's freshest garden vegetables, especially tomatoes, with these recipes from Emeril Lagasse.
Pasta Salad with Garden Vegetables, Oven-Roasted Tomatoes, and Herbed Vinaigrette Ingredients
• 1 pint red grape tomatoes • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil • 1/4 teaspoon salt • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper • 1 pound farfalle (bow-tie pasta) • 1 small zucchini, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, and thinly sliced • 1 small yellow squash, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, and thinly sliced • 1 small red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced • 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper • Herbed Parmesan Vinaigrette( recipe below) • 1 cup crumbled goat cheese, or Feta cheese
Herbed Parmesan Vinaigrette
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice • 1 teaspoon minced garlic • 1/2 teaspoon salt • 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper • 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil • 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1. Combine the herbs, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl and whisk to blend.
2. Slowly add the olive oils in a steady stream, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens. Whisk in the cheese. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Yield: Makes about 1 1/4 cups
Pasta Salad with Garden Vegetables, Oven-Roasted Tomatoes, and Herbed Vinaigrette Ingredients Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet. Toss with the olive oil, salt, and pepper to lightly coat. Roast until the tomatoes are tender and starting to split, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking, until tender but firm to the bite. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water. Drain well.
4. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with the roasted tomatoes and the remaining ingredients, except the cheese. Toss with enough dressing to lightly coat. Adjust the seasoning to taste, adding more dressing if desired.
5. When ready to serve, toss with the goat cheese.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
Roasted Cherry Tomato with Ricotta and Pasta Ingredients
• 1 pound red cherry tomatoes, halved • 1 pound yellow cherry tomatoes • 1/2 pound small green heirloom tomatoes, quartered • 1/4 cup olive oil • 3 tablespoons slivered garlic • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar • 3/4 teaspoon salt • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper • 1/4 cup chiffonade fresh basil (directions below) • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley • 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano • 1 pound farfalle (bow tie) pasta • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil • 8 ounces whole-milk farm ricotta, crumbled •1/2 cup toasted pine nuts • 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese • Additional chopped fresh herbs, garnish • Hot French or Italian bread, accompaniment
How to Chiffonade Basil:
1. Pluck basil leaves from their stems and stack on top of each other.
2. Roll the leaves from top to bottom into a "cigar."
3. While holding the basil "cigar," make thin slices across the rolled leaves, making sure to cut all the way through the leaves.
4. Lift and drop slices to seperate the slices.