That's in a few minutes. But a silent killer as an upscale maul. The manager of this restaurant is dead, and dozens sent to the hospital, including some of the first responders who arrived to help... See More
That's in a few minutes. But a silent killer as an upscale maul. The manager of this restaurant is dead, and dozens sent to the hospital, including some of the first responders who arrived to help people. Officials believe it's carbon monoxide poisoning. And we are on the scene in Huntington station, New York. Reporter: Good morning. It happened here at the legal sea foods although this mall. Police got a call someone passed out at 6:00 P.M. Just as the restaurant was beginning to see the dinner crowd. When first responders arrived, they started feeling ill too. Overcome by a colorless, odorless poison. This morning, the heating equipment is believed to be the cause of a carbon monoxide leak that killed one and injured 27 others. They were trying to get everybody out as fast as they could. Officials say legal sea foods and two nearby busy restaurants were evacuated when a fallen worker, and they began to feel ill and light-headed. The original call was a fall and a head injury. Possibly as a result of carbon monoxide. Reporter: And they found the manager unconscious in the basement. He was pronounced dead at the hospital. There were ambulances everywhere. Reporter: Seven rescue workers were among those treated. But other survivors are staff members. The leak confined to the basement. It does not appear at the moment to have made it into the area of the restaurant where the commerce were. Reporter: Legal sea foods declined to comment, but they posted this message on their Twitter account. We are profoundly saddened to hear of the death of our general manager Steve Nelson. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. And there's a sign on the door of legal sea foods declaring it condemned and closed to the public. Most were treated and released. For more on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, Dr. Rich Besser. Are casesic like this rare? They are rare. We have seen them malls, even in a hockey rink. With a machine with fuel, gasoline, pro pane, most likely in the home. But 15,000 people go to the er and lots die. What are the signs to look for? Using a detector is the way to go. It's colorless, tasteless, doesn't irritate. It could feel like the flu, headache, muscle ache, nausea, dizziness. But once it builds up to dangerous level, mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscle koorlgs and death. Detecting it is critical. It's often too late. If you get to the E.R., it saves your life. Is the detecter the primary thing?
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.