Transcript for Detergent 'Pod' Poisonings Spike
We're going to turn to a new government report showing a growing health hazard for small children in your own home. Since we told you about the minilaundry detergent pods that kids mistake for candy, the number of incidents has striked. Linsey davis has the details. Reporter: It's happened more often than originally thought. Children thinking these bite-sized single-dose laundry packages for candy. Poison centers across the country were seeing on average, ten cases a day. N a new report says that more than 1,000 children were sickened. But parents are learning just how dangerous these packs of laundry detergent can be. When children eat them. Candy, candy. I figured they were eating canada. Reporter: Isabella had severe vomiting and diarrhea. Many children are experiencing drowsine drowsiness, nausea, and difficulty breathing. You don't think about safety-proofing laundry detergent. Reporter: Back in may, procter & gamble, the makers of tide, told abc news, they weren't just thinking about 50i9. They planned to unveil new child-proof packaging by summer. A double-latch lid. And a larger warning on this container that some say looks like a candy jar. Now, they tell us they've distributed those containers to stores. But the old containers were never recalled, which would explain why when we went to four stores this week, we still found these easy to open plastic bags right on the shelf. The maker of purex backs, say they have labels to warn parents and provide instructions in the event of ingestion. Other manufacturers did not
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.