Now, to the man who is waking up a multimillionaire, thanks to the lawsuit that started with a bag of microwave popcorn. Wayne watson scored a $7 million verdict after he developed what's known as... See More
Now, to the man who is waking up a multimillionaire, thanks to the lawsuit that started with a bag of microwave popcorn. Wayne watson scored a $7 million verdict after he developed what's known as popcorn lung, after eating two to three bags of microwave popcorn every day. Abc's clayton sandell has the story. Reporter: For wayne watson, popcorn went from delicious to almost deadly. When we first met him in2007, watson was popcorn-obsessed. I have two bags a day, every day. Reporter: Every day for ten years, until his doctor diagnosed him with a rare disease, popcorn lung. You cannot blow air out. The very small airways become blocked with scar tissue and inflammation. Reporter: Popcorn lung is usually found in plant workers. Watson sued the popcornmaker and the supermarket that sold it, claiming the companies never warned consumers that linked to alzheimer's disease, was dangerous. They thought no consumer would be exposed to enough of it to make a difference. Well, they rolled the dice. And they lost. Reporter: A jury agreed. On wednesday, awarding watson damages totalling $7.2 million. Watson says he plans on giving money to charity. One thing he says he won't be doing is buying microwave popcorn. Probably looks like a fairly healthy guy. But I only have, on a good day, about 53% lung capacity. Reporter: Many manufacturers no longer use the drug in microwave popcorn. Gliser-mary lee did not return calls for comment. But reportedly issued a statement, saying it was disappointed with the jury's decision. Noting it has provided safe, quality microwave popcorn to consumers for two decades. For "good morning america," clayton sandell, abc news, denver.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.