Transcript for Trump calls Russia coverage 'fake news'
Thanks, Amy. Big goal for the president to advance his campaign to delegitimize the mainstream media and show his supporters he's taking them on. Many of our nation's reporters and folks will not tell you the truth. It's all fake news. It's all fake news. Russia is fake news. Russia -- this is fake news put out by the media. The public doesn't believe you people anymore. I want to just tell you the false reporting by the media, by you people, the false, horrible, fake reporting makes it much harder to make a deal with Russia. Let's talk to our roundtable. Cecilia Vega, Matthew dowd and Amy Holmes, political analyst for Rasmussen and the president tweeted and said thank you for the nice statements. Rush Limbaugh said fake media, not happy. So the president had a strategy here. Did he succeed? If it was to get everybody focused and talking about him and having everybody analyze him, he did succeed in that. My view is if you take a look at what the country thought of this, 25% of the country who loves trump loved that because it was a total assembly of him in all his glory, 25% of the trump who hate trump hated that and was probably aghast and 50% of the country where they are concerned, a little bit confused and probably slightly nervous in the aftermath. He certainly seemed to love it. And said so. He's having a great time. At the very beginning he was trying to reach the American people with the press just present. Basically relegating them to nattering Na kwoochlt bombs of negativity. He wanted to show his toughness, one. Great thestrengths he had and it's his willingness -- One thing clear, Cecilia, he definitely wanted to take control of this narrative. He sees himself getting pummeled every single day. These suggestions of the white house in chaos. He said I'll do it myself. This comes in the wake of a series of really bad stories for this white house. The big one yesterday being that the white house was in turmoil. He wanted to change that narrative but let's not forget Donald Trump ran on being an unconventional candidate and that is exactly what we saw so I totally agree. I think supporters of his will eat this up and love it. The business at hand, Donald Trump was there to announce a new labor secretary, that got just a handful of seconds during the press conference. I do still think there are a number of questions about Russia and contacts that the campaign and surrogates had with Russia that still remain unanswered but let's give it to him. There were a number of questions that were answered from everybody in that room and Donald Trump had been criticized leading up to this for not taking serious questions from mainstream media and certainly did that. He took all the questions. No question about that. But, Matthew dowd, did he advance his agenda at all? No, because I think if you think about the person in Michigan or the person in Ohio that's worried about their job and voted for him reluctantly, I mean, keep in mind 46% of the country voted for him but about a quarter of those voters thought he was unqualified to be president and didn't have the temperament. They want to see somebody that will advance the ball for them and be presidential. Coming away from that press conference, 25% of the people that voted for him won't feel more comfortable about him. He complains about not getting focus -- the media not focusing on things he does with Boeing and carrier but all the talk gets in the way. There is a tendency to step on his own message when he's addressing a thousand things over 77 -- All the time. Well, there is that and I do appreciate that at the beginning of his press conference he went through what he's accomplished, what he's done through executive orders and decrees and so forth. We're being theater critics instead of looking at the substance of the policy. Here was the moment the most remarkable moment. The president talking about that Russian ship patrolling off our shores. The greatest thing I could do is shoot that ship that's 30 miles offshore right out of the water. Everyone in this country will say, oh, it's so great. That's not great. That's not great. I would love to be able to get along with Russia. Kind of an astonishing thing that he would think that everyone would think it's great and it would start a major war with Russia. You could make a comment about blowing up a Russian ship 30 miles off the eastern seaboard with a quip have a lot of people scratching their head like blowing -- literally and figuratively blowing -- It was a popcorn worthy press conference. Unbelievable expose of Donald Trump. And they said the president loved it. We may be seeing more.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.