How Can I Ensure My Child With Autism Will Be Taken Care Of Once I Am No Longer Able To Do So?

Question: How can I ensure my child with autism will be taken care of once I am no longer able to do so?

Answer: There are several things a parent can do when they're thinking about their child's future when they may not be there. Number one, expand the child's circle of support -- grandparents, neighbors, family members, extended family members may be willing to step in and help out. Number two you need to think about guardianship issues. Number three we need to do some estate planning when it comes to financial issues. Number four we need to look at benefits that are available through the government. And number five, there are programs such as in Georgia we have the MRWP waiver that is very helpful for an individual should they need additional support outside the family.