Accidental Poisoning: Five True Stories of Toxic Mix-Ups

At least one of the instances of tiki torch poisoning was the result of an adult transferring the toxic fuel into a smaller container, which Krenzelok said is a common mistake.

The Star-Ledger reported that the 8-year-old girl who sustained lung damage drank from a glass on a counter that she thought was filled with juice but was filled with oil.

"That's one of the classical problems as well: People will put things in convenience containers," said Krenzelok.

Reusing containers may be great for non-toxic products, but in the case of toxic chemicals, Krenzelok suggested dealing only with the original containers that have warning labels.

A similar case of a container with an inadequate warning label in Massachusetts left one baby dead, a little girl with an uncertain future and an elderly man facing charges.

Accident Causes Baby's Arsenic Poisoning Death

Children's deaths by poisoning actually are quite rare, but the tragedy of such a death can rock a community, as the peninsula town of Nahant, Mass., knows well.

In 2003, the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System only counted 35 deaths from poisoning in children. One of them that year was 4-month-old Benjamin Glynn. His sister Morgan, then 2-years-old, narrowly escaped death from arsenic poisoning.

The Glynn children were visiting their father's client, Constantine Pitsas, in Nahant that summer for a neighborhood party. Pitsas, then 77, went down to his basement to grab a jug of spring water and poured some into Benjamin's formula and in a cup for Morgan, according to past reporting by ABC News affiliate WCVB in Boston.

But what Pitsas said he didn't see, and the Glynn family didn't realize at first, was that the bottle had a folded and taped-over label that read "arsenical" and "total weed killer," according to reporting by the Boston Globe.

In 2005, a judge found Pitsas not guilty of involuntary manslaughter, saying that the prosecutor had not proved Pitsas' actions were "wanton and reckless," according to reports by the Associated Press. Pitsas waived his right to a trial by jury.

Although multiple people failed to read the label, and Pitsas hadn't changed containers, Krenzelok said it is always good advice to keep food in separate areas of the home than any chemicals.

More recently, in England, a woman narrowly escaped death and is still struggling to survive after someone at a pub allegedly poured a drink from a bottle without a clear label that was stored in a fridge.

Dangerous Chemicals Behind the Counter at Bars

Fran Nichol never even had a chance to cry out after sipping the caustic solution she thought was an apple rum fizzy drink.

The middle-aged woman entered a bar with a companion around Christmas 2007, near Dundee, Scotland, and ordered a fizzy apple juice with rum, according to reporting by the Sunday Mail.

Somehow, a bottle of pipe cleaning solution with sodium hydroxide (or lye) was stored in the pub's fridge and mistaken for fizzy apple juice. After just one sip, Nichol collapsed on the floor in pain.

Such an accident with a product like pipe cleaner was beyond Krenzelok's experience.

"That is rare," said Krenzelok. "It's even gotten to be more uncommon in the general run of things," he said, explaining people have gotten better about safely storing chemicals in their homes.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
  • |
  • 3
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...