"Unless there's some malicious intents, we really don't see things that far out," said Krenzelok, who is also a fellow at the American College of Toxicology.
Nichol's throat and mouth were so badly seared by the sip that she could not swallow or eat, according to the Sunday Mail. Although recovering slowly, she had to be fitted with a feeding tube to survive.
Some chemicals are dyed to purposely look toxic, but in Nichol's case, the chemical looked like juice.
In the case of a recent poisoning in Arkansas, the drink children were supposed to be served looked like chemicals.
This March, the owner of a small day care center in Little Rock, Ark., pulled out a plastic container of electric blue liquid and filled the cups of 10 children at her facility.
It only took a couple of sips before the kids realized the Kool-Aid was bad, but an ounce of the windshield wiper fluid was enough to send the kids to a nearby hospital, according to the Associated Press.
"A variety of those juices or things [are] blue," said Krenzelok. "How does a 2-year-old distinguish that from a cleaning fluid?"
Krenzelok said not all glass cleaners are equally as dangerous. For instance, he said an in-home glass cleaner would still be poisonous but a child would have to drink much more to be affected.
"But if you think about automobile windshield fluid -- that is bad," said Krenzelok.
The children admitted to the hospital had measurable amounts of methanol -- which can cause blindness or comas, according to the Associated Press.
In the case of day care center owner Carolyn Bynum, who voluntarily surrendered her state license, the adult failed to follow multiple tips advocated by Krenzelok, such as reading the label, separating household products from food and paying careful attention chemicals around children.
In that case, Krenzelok can only suggest dialing a poison hotline: 1-800-222-1222.
"What's good about that number is it automatically routes you to the nearest poison center," he said. "It's like the 911 of poison center numbers."