(HealthDay News) -- Hitting the gym on a regular schedule is a big commitment with big payoffs. But after a while, the same old routine can become boring.
The American Council on Exercise offers these suggestions to keep a workout from getting stale:
- Make a small change to your normal workout. For example, run or walk outside instead of inside.
- Try a new sport or activity. Learn to play a new game or take a class that teaches you a whole new way to keep fit.
- Work out with friends.
- Keep challenging yourself with new heights and new goals, such as running longer or faster, or swimming more laps.
- Make sure you vary your workouts; try a lot of different exercises.
- Treat yourself to a music player, pedometer or a new type of workout equipment.
- Allow yourself a bit of time off. But always get back to exercising after a little rest.