What Tests Should Be Done If I Am a Man With a Breast Lump?

Question:What tests should be done if I am a man with a breast lump?

Answer:Well, a male with a breast lump should be considered very similar to a woman with a breast lump. And that's to say if the lump is new and it persists for more than a few weeks, the male should see a physician, should be considered for a mammogram, though in many cases mammography is not very good for these. But in most cases, because the lump is easily palpable it can be easily biopsied, typically with a fine needle aspiration biopsy, in essence, putting a small, thin needle into the lump and sucking a small amount of tissue out for a pathologic analysis.

Next: Is Male Breast Cancer Treated the Same as Female Breast Cancer, and Does Gender Affect My Response to Treatment?


Previous: Can Men Get Breast Cancer?
-- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 3635866. -- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 3635866. -- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 3635866.
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...
See It, Share It
PHOTO: Firefighters rescue a woman who got stuck in a chimney in Thousand Oaks, Calif.
Ventura County Fire Department
PHOTO: Up in Ash: Mount Sinabung Erupting
Tibt Nangin/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images
PHOTO: Defendant Jodi Arias testifies about killing Travis Alexander in 2008 during her murder trial in Phoenix, Feb. 20, 2013.
Charlie Leight/The Arizona Republic/AP Photo
PHOTO: Attendees gather during an Apple special event at the Flint Center for the Performing Arts, Sept. 9, 2014 in Cupertino, California.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images