Cruise Ship Wreck: Divers Resume Search Efforts

PHOTO: Boats patrol near the Costa Concordia, Jan. 15, 2012, after the cruise ship ran aground, off the coast of Tuscany, Italy.
Share
Copy

Authorities this morning resumed the search for the more than a dozen people still missing in the wreckage of the Italian cruise liner Costa Concordia.

"We still have hope. We have hope for anything that will come. Whatever gods plan is, we're at peace with that," said Aaron Heil, the son of Jerry and Barbara Heil.

The Heils are the only Americans who are still unaccounted for among the 4,200 passengers onboard the liner when it hit the rocks near Italy's Tuscan coast Friday, officials said.

Divers found five more bodies Tuesday, bringing the death toll to 11.

Sandor Feher was the first victim to be identified by authorities Wednesday.

Feher, a violinist hired to play on the cruise, reportedly helped children put on life jackets but then went back to his cabin to get his violin case.

"Today is an important day. The weather forecasts are negative, rough sea. We'll have to see how the ship reacts to that," firefighter spokesman Luca Cari told the Associated Press.

When the search is completed, the next priority will be to pump fuel out of the ship, according to officials.

PHOTOS: Inside the Costa Concordia Cruise Ship Tragedy

A new video shows divers working in extreme conditions, wading through shoulder-deep water.

On Wednesday, it became so dangerous that operations were suspended when the ship began tilting on the rocks.

The search for answers continues, with a growing focus on the cruise operator's role.

Capt. Francesco Schettino told investigators he made a mistake in steering too close to the island.

But contradicting the cruise operator's claim, he said the route was planned in advance.

Schettino could face criminal charges, including manslaughter and abandoning ship.

There's new evidence that this cruise ship had sailed this same route before.

A London newspaper reported that the ship tracking data shows it came within 750 feet of the coast last year.

As for Capt. Schettino, he said he was on the bridge when the accident happened. But crew members told ABC News that he was having dinner.

Schettino claimed he "tripped" and fell into a rescue boat while thousands of passengers were trying to escape, but it doesn't coincide with what he said during a heated phone call with a Coast Guard captain, who was demanding to know why he abandoned ship.

"I did not abandon any ship, the ship was sinking, so we jumped in the water," Schettino said.

ABC News' Chris Cuomo, Phoebe Natanson, Clark Bentson, Sharde Miller, Andreena Narayan and ABC News Radio contributed to this report.

Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...
See It, Share It
PHOTO: Debra Messing, left, attending the premiere of Smash in New York City on Jan. 26, 2012 and right, attending the Broadway opening of Outside Mullingar on Jan. 23, 2014 in New York.
Jim Spellman/Getty Images | Bruce Glikas/Getty Images
Baby Lemur Relaxes on Mom
Jens Meyer/AP Photo