The United Nations reported an increasingly dire situation in Gaza for Palestinian civilians. It said electricity had been cut off to 75 percent of the Strip's 1.5 million people, but the cutoff was now total. And 500,000 people had been cut off from a water supply.
While Israel weighs whether to expand its ground operations in Gaza, it also watches its northern border.
Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported that during the regular meeting of the Israeli Cabinet Sunday, Maj. Gen. Amos Yadlin, the head of military intelligence, said that Hezbollah, another anti-Israel Islamic group, might carry out a limited attack in the north.
Israel's defense forces have been on high alert across the country since the ground operation began Saturday and thousands of reservists are being called up in the event of any complications from the Gaza assault.
According to Haaretz, Yadlin told the Cabinet, "Hezbollah might carry out a low-profile attack by means of a Palestinian organization that would be limited and not set the border alight."
On the diplomatic front there are signs of movement. Egypt, whose government has refused to meet with Hamas leaders for the last month, is receiving a Hamas delegation today from Damascus, Syria, in Cairo. The trip appears to be timed to today's meeting between French President Nicholas Sarkozy and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in Egypt's Sharm al Sheikh.
Sami Zyara contributed to the reporting of this story from Gaza; Nasser Atta, Mimi Daher, Michal Mentch, Bruno Nota, Dana Savir contributed from Jerusalem; Lama Hasan and Angus Hines contributed from Rafah, Egypt.