More Concorde Victims Reach Settlement

A German lawyer representing around a dozen relatives of people who died in last year's Air France Concorde crash said today they have reached a settlement for damages with the airline.

The announcement by attorney Burkhard Koetke followed a settlement in May involving a larger group of relatives.

Koetke, who in January filed a lawsuit against the airline in New York, said the suit was withdrawn after they agreed on a sum of "several million" with representatives of Air France insurers La Reunion Aerienne.

"The individual sums differ according to the relationship and personal closeness to the victims," Koetke said in a statement, which gave no details of the sums involved. Koetke wasn't immediately available for comment.

The lawyer said the agreement also involved the jet's manufacturers.

Almost One Year Ago

The New York-bound Concorde went down July 25 near Paris, killing 113 people. Many of the 109 people on the plane were German tourists.

Relatives of the majority of the German passengers accepted a hefty compensation offer in May. Their lawyers, who say they represent 75 victims' families and a total of 400 relatives, didn't go to court.

Attorneys refused to release details of that settlement, but news reports in France and Germany have said the total compensation amounted to roughly $100 million.

Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...