David Chang, the chef and co-owner of Momofuku Noodle Bar, Saam Bar and Ko in New York City, shares a few of his recipes.
Prep time: 45 to 60 minutes.
Place a rack in a pot or deep baking pan, fill with hot water and place on stove over lowest heat possible. Bring temperature to 140 to 145 degrees, and add eggs. They must stay on rack and not touch bottom. Cover and maintain low temperature, checking frequently.
Test an egg after 40 minutes by cracking on plate; if white is cooked, egg is done. If not, try another in 5 minutes. When eggs are done, use immediately or cool and refrigerate for up to a day. Bring to room temperature or reheat in hot water for a minute or so before serving.
4 cups of duck fat or pork fat or olive oil
4 pieces of boned out chicken thigh
3 cups of of cooked white rice
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt
3 cups water
1 cup hickory/mesquite woodchips
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sake
1/4 cup mirin
Chicken bones and scraps from boned out chicken
For Salt and Sugar Kirby Cucumbers:
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
4 or 5 Kirby cucumbers, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
Place chicken in brine for up to four hours, wash and pat dry. Put in smoker, cold smoke chicken for 45 minutes.Transfer chicken to large pot. Place chicken legs in a single layer and cover with fat or oil so that chickens are fully submerged. Cook at 250 for 2 hours. Let chicken cool down in cooking liquid, carefully remove and place on a plate. Chill down well.
Combine ingredients. Bring to boil and simmer for 2 hours, remove from heat, strain and cool.
Preparing Salt and Sugar Kirby cucumbers:
Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl, toss to coat the cucumbers with the salt and sugar and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes or more. Taste. (If your quick pickles are too sweet or too salty, put them into a colander, rinse off the seasoning, dry in a kitchen towel or salad spinner, taste and correct). Serve immediately.
Preparing Soft Poached Eggs:
Poach eggs in a pot of simmering, salted water in which a tablespoon vinegar has been added (vinegar makes the egg whites constrict quickly) for about 3 minutes, use slotted spoon.
1. Heat oil. Place chicken on hot oil and cover with metal weight. When first side is seared, flip chicken with spatula, cover with weight and sear other side.
2. Portion rice in large bowl with plastic rice spoon.
3. When both sides of chicken are seared and chicken is heated through. Transfer to cutting board, slice on a diagonal in 1" pieces, transfer and fan out onto rice in bowl (adjust with chopsticks). Squeeze tare over chicken and into rice.
4. Warm soft poached egg by pouring hot water over it in third pan. Crack egg into sauce dish. Plate next to fanned out chicken.
5. Garnish bowl with salt and sugar cucumbers and scallions. Season egg with ground black pepper.
½ cup kosher salt
½ cup sugar
4½ cups water, divided
2½ pound skinless boneless pork belly, cut into quarters
½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth