- Combine all the cheese except 2 ounces each of the jack and cheddar with the onion mixture, fold together well.
- Slightly warm the tortillas in a warm sauté pan to make them flexible, and put about 1/3 cup of the cheese mix on each tortilla and roll them up.
- Place the rolled tortillas in a lightly oiled casserole dish in a single layer.
- Cover and refrigerate until baking time.
For the sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1 tablespoon fine diced jalapeños
1 tablespoon minced garlic
½ tablespoon chipotle en adobo
1 cup roasted tomatoes chopped
1½ cups stock or water
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon cinnamon
- In a 2 quart sauce pot over medium heat, cook onions in oil until tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Add diced jalapeños and garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, stock and all seasonings; let simmer 15 minutes.
- Puree and strain the sauce and hold for service.
To assemble the dish:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Ladle sauce over the enchiladas in the casserole dish, top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake covered for 15-20 minutes, until hot throughout and cheese is well-melted.
- Serve hot.