The Note: Weekend Update

WASHINGTON, March 28

NEWS SUMMARY

What have we collectively learned since The Note was last published?

Leader DeLay's family decided to end his father's life after a crippling accident (and then sued a manufacturer for big money); the Wall Street Journal editorial page has unimplicitly joined the anti-DeLay camp; White House Social Security "allies" Steve Moore and Grover Norquist are not optimistic on Social Security and are anti-government intervention on Schiavo; White House Social Security ally Sen. Grassley is not all that optimistic on Social Security and still thinks the President has to do the heavy lifting; the Associated Press' Mike Glover is covering '08 like yellow on corn; the New York Times' Patrick D. "Pat D." Healy is going to cover the Gotham mayoral battle, and the '06 Empire State Senate and gubernatorial contests; and (courtesy New York Magazine) all sorts of must-read Kerik-supplied tick tock about what happened in the days and nights of Bernie's excellent White House adventure (including alleged conversations with Dina Powell!!!). LINK

What we have NOT learned since The Note was last published:

How long Terri Schiavo's life will continue; how the Schiavo case has impacted the Social Security debate; what members of Congress are hearing about Social Security while they are home; what exactly accounts for the President's droopy poll numbers; and what John Edwards will wear to his Des Moines Register ed board.

Oblivious to 25 percent of this (but keenly interested in the other 75 percent), President and First Lady Laura Bush return to Washington, DC from Crawford, TX this afternoon.

But not in time for the annual (and this year, very soggy) White House Easter Egg Roll, hosted by Education Secretary Margaret Spellings and Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt at 9:15 am ET.

At 3:00 pm ET, the President participates in a celebration of Greek Independence Day, along with Greek foreign minister Petros Molyviatis.

On Tuesday, President Bush delivers Rose Garden remarks about freedom and democracy, and on Wednesday he heads to Cedar Rapids, IA, to talk about Social Security. On Friday, he and Mrs. Bush talk about helping America's youth at a Washington, DC charter school.

All's quiet on The Hill -- the Senate is on Easter recess. It meets for morning business next Monday, April 4, and its next roll call vote is scheduled for April 5. The House next meets on Tuesday, April 5 at 2:00 pm ET.

Tonight, Los Angeles Mayor James Hahn and challenger Antonio Villaraigosa meet at 8:00 pm ET for the first debate of the Los Angeles mayoral runoff.

Tonight, RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman speaks at a Lincoln Day dinner in Polk County, FL. Tomorrow, he joins Sen. Mel Martinez for a town hall meeting in Orlando, FL to talk about the shared values of the Hispanic community and the Republican Party, followed by a Lincoln Day dinner in Lee County, FL.

Treasury Secretary John Snow hits the road today through Thursday to talk about Social Security in Portland, OR, Bozeman, MT, and Bismarck, ND. He meets with employees from FLIR System, Inc. in Portland today at 2:00 pm ET.

Today through Wednesday, Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI) visits Alabama to talk to Democrats and city leaders. Today, he stops in Greenville, tomorrow Montgomery and Birmingham, where he ends up on Wednesday.

Page
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...