"We're going to work with our allies, with our friends to try to place these people who have been approved for transfer or for release. I think we've made pretty significant progress last week when nine people were placed in different countries. The Italians have indicated the willingness to accept three additional ones. We are in constant conversation with -- with our allies in attempting to place these people." Holder said Wednesday.
"Dan Fried is flying all over the world meeting with people, meeting with various countries trying to come up with ways in which -- in which we place these people," Holder added.
The complex question remains, however: What to do with the rest of the detainees not cleared for release?
Holder said Wednesday that roughly a quarter of the remaining detainees, or as many as 50 individuals, could face prosecutions or some form of military commissions.
That still leaves a sizable population currently in Guantanamo that the U.S. deems too dangerous to release but does not feel that it can successfully prosecute. So far, the Obama administration has not come up with a solution for where to put them.
It is this group that will ultimately pose the greatest challenge, both legally and logistically, for the U.S. as it tries to find a place to hold them before Guantanamo's scheduled shutdown in seven months.
The clock is ticking.