Aaron Murray done with torn ACL


ATHENS, Ga. – Aaron Murray's record-breaking college career is over.

Georgia sports communications director Claude Felton confirmed on Sunday that the senior quarterback tore the ACL in his left knee in Saturday's 59-17 win against Kentucky.

Murray, who will miss next Saturday's regular-season finale against Georgia Tech as well as the Bulldogs' bowl game, will undergo surgery to repair the knee Tuesday and face a lengthy rehabilitation process.

He will also miss any postseason All-Star games -- Bulldogs tight end Arthur Lynch said earlier this week that he and Murray planned to play in the Senior Bowl in January -- and the mid-February NFL combine during the run-up to the draft, which begins May 8.

Georgia's period of mourning over Murray's injury can't last long.

The Bulldogs face rival Georgia Tech in six days -- and for the first time since 2009, they'll do it with someone other than Murray under center.

Once considered the Bulldogs' quarterback in waiting for 2014 -- after Murray, the SEC's all-time leading passer, departed for the NFL --  Hutson Mason's time is now, and that isn't as much of a cause for concern as one might expect.

"I think the whole team is confident in him," Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo said of Mason. "He's been preparing for four years now for his moment. His moment's just come a little earlier than we thought it might. I know he's ready and I know everybody believes in him."

Mason has been Murray's primary backup since arriving at Georgia in 2010, and he opted to redshirt last season instead of transferring in order to gain a year of class separation between himself and Murray. The idea was to have one final season where he could potentially serve as the starting quarterback.

Murray posted to Twitter twice Sunday morning thanking Georgia's fans for their support.

Murray left the game with just over four minutes remaining in the second quarter, when Kentucky's Za'Darius Smith slammed him to the turf after Murray's pass to Rhett McGowan deflected off the receiver and landed in Wildcats linebacker Khalid Henderson's hands at the Kentucky 2-yard line. Murray needed help from trainers to get off the field and immediately departed for the locker room without putting weight on his left leg.

He had entered the game at less than 100 percent following a crushing hit on the final play of last weekend's loss to Auburn -- and actually injured his knee at the end of a 28-yard run early in the second quarter.

Murray was visibly struggling after the run, but remained in the game and completed an 8-yard touchdown pass to Lynch three plays later -- Murray's fourth scoring pass in the first five possessions. Georgia's coaches planned to remove Murray from the game immediately after the initial injury, but the notoriously tough quarterback waved off Mason when he tried to enter the game.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...