Taylor Lewan faces assault charges

ESPNAPI_IMG_NO_ALTEXT_Value

Former Michigan offensive lineman and first-round NFL draft prospect  Taylor Lewan has been charged with one count of aggravated assault and two counts of assault or assault and battery stemming from an incident on Dec. 1, 2013, according to court records.

Lewan, who is projected as the No. 2 offensive tackle by Scouts Inc. in May's NFL draft, is scheduled to be arraigned on April 8 at 9 a.m. in the 15th District Court in Ann Arbor, Mich.

According to the Ann Arbor News, which earlier reported the charges, Lewan was being investigated for his role in an incident taking place on the 1200 block of South University Avenue around 12:30 a.m. on Dec. 1, following Michigan's loss to Ohio State.

The News reported that two Ohio State fans said they were assaulted in the incident.

At the NFL combine last month, Lewan denied being in any sort of altercation.

"I went over the Ohio State incident once before. I wasn't in any fight of any kind," Lewan said. "I was actually breaking something up and some guy said that I slugged him, but that's not who I am off the field, that's not the kind of person I am.

"It might seem that way because of the way I play football, but that's not the way I am as a person."

The charges were filed with the district court Wednesday. The Ann Arbor News reported Lewan was the only person charged in the incident. If found guilty, he could face up to 93 days in jail or a fine of up to $500.

The 22-year-old Lewan started 48 games at left tackle for Michigan and was named the Big Ten's offensive lineman of the year the past two seasons.

-- This embed didnt make it to copy for story id = 22989041.
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...