Meanwhile, the relatives of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan have been told they could be victims with journalists from the News of the World listening into their conversations. So far there is no evidence to substantiate these claims but the names of dead soldiers have reportedly been found in the News of the World documents. Gen. David Richards, the head of the British armed forces told the AP "If these actions are proved to have been verified, I am appalled."
Police have also warned Princess Diana's then boyfriend Dodi Al Fayed's family lawyer Michael Mansfield that his voice mails could have been hacked into when he represented the Al Fayeds during the inquiry into their deaths. Mansfield has reportedly received a letter from Scotland Yard saying he too was on a list of possible targets. Mansfield said that claims journalists may have been trying to uncover stories about Diana from his messages was "particularly disturbing." Diana's former lover James Hewitt is suing the News of the World for invasion of privacy over allegations that his phone was hacked, his lawyer has said.
News International is part of media mogul Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. media conglomerate. Murdoch also owns Fox News, The Wall St. Journal and New York Post. On Wednesday, he released a statement saying, "Recent allegations of phone hacking and making payments to police with respect to the News of the World are deplorable and unacceptable."