A Duke lacrosse player who is not one of the men accused of raping an exotic dancer at an off-campus party says that his school abandoned the team, that his former coach had been "forced out," and that he is 100 percent certain no rape occurred.
In an exclusive interview with ABC News, the player -- who insisted on anonymity and whose face was shadowed during the interview -- told ABC North Carolina affiliate WTVD reporter Darla Miles on Monday that last month's indictment of two of his teammates was "probably the most emotional day of my life."
Duke student lacrosse players Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann have been charged with raping an exotic dancer hired to strip at a March 13 party. The alleged victim -- a mother and student at North Carolina Central University -- told police that she was brutally raped and robbed by three men in the bathroom of an off-campus home rented by team members.
Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong, who won a primary election Tuesday night and is expected to run unchallenged in the general election, has indicated he hopes to indict a third player in the days ahead.
When asked whether he was 100 percent sure no rape had occurred the night of the party, the player said, "Yes, ma'am." It was the first on-camera interview since the alleged rape scandal had surfaced.
The player -- the first one to speak since the scandal broke -- gave 26 "no comments" during the interview. Citing the ongoing investigation, he declined to discuss the alleged victim, her dance partner, and many other issues related to the night of the alleged attack.
The player said that his teammates had turned instinctively to each other to cope with the scandal.
"From the get-go, we've only had each other to fall back on. We've been convicted in the media," he said. "Our university has turned its back on us. … They didn't stand up for us, and we feel neglected and that our loyalty wasn't reciprocated."
The player choked up as he told Miles how his team was on its way to the national championship when the rape allegations surfaced. He insisted veteran coach Mike Pressler "didn't resign."
"He was forced out," the player said. "The notion that he quit or resigned is ridiculous."
"He is Duke lacrosse," the player said. "He was the coach for 16 years. Duke lacrosse was nothing before he got there. The alumni that he's produced and the friends that I have [are] because of him, the opportunity he gave me and everyone else. We're all devastated he took the fall for this."
A Duke University spokesman reached Monday night by ABC News' Law & Justice Unit declined to comment on the interview.
The player said the days between Nifong's announcement of a rape investigation in March and the April 17 indictment of Seligmann and Finnerty were tense and dizzying.
"I think they're shocked and upset," he said. "And I think part of that is just because there were 47 of us, and no one knew who it was going to be. It was almost like [the alleged victim] went eenie, meenie, miney, [mo] off the roster."
Asked whether he was angry, the player said, "Extremely."
The player said his teammates were "anxious" about the possibility of a third indictment.
"I just pray [Nifong] doesn't go through with it. That he's not going to indict another innocent person," he said. "Because even if it's not me, it's going to be somebody else who I care about."