The director of a film about young Cubans defecting would like to know that her real-life missing stars -- who may have defected en route to the premiere -- are safe.
Two of the stars of writer-director Lucy Mulloy's film "Una Noche" vanished in Miami as the group were making their way to New York from Cuba for the film's premiere.
"Though they've made difficult choices about what to do at present, I wish them the very best in all their endeavours and I hope I will get to see them again soon," Mulloy said in a statement emailed to ABCNews.com. "It was a pleasure working with them. I would love to know that they are well."
The film is about three young Cubans who decide to flee the country on a raft after one of them is accused of assault. The film follows the day they attempt to make it 90 miles across the ocean to Florida.
The British-born director recently graduated from New York University's graduate film program and "Una Noche" is her first feature film.
All three of the film's stars -- Anailin de la Rua de la Torre, Javier Nunez Florian and Dariel Arrechada -- were expected to appear at New York's Tribeca Film Festival for the premiere. But Torre and Florian, both 19, were nowhere to be found the night of the event.
Arrechada, 21, was the only one to attend the premiere.
"I wish my co-stars could be here with me to join all of us in celebrating "Una Noche" and share in this incredible experience," he said in an emailed statement to ABCNews.com.
Arrechada said that "Una Noche" was the first film-making experience for all three of the actors and that he misses his co-stars.
"Though we all miss them, and I miss them very much, I am confident they will do what is best for them," he wrote. "My heart is with them and I hope they are safe and well."
Mulloy described Torre and Florian as "talented actors and wonderful individuals." She had already begun to plan the film's sequel, but is unsure what will happen since her actors have apparently taken off.
Government officials are aware of the situation.
"We can't say for sure what the status of these guys are," Katie Tichacek Kaplan, spokeswoman for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), told ABCNews.com on Monday. "There are a number of things they could be thinking. We just don't know what their plans are."
Kaplan said that people in similar situations who come to the U.S. for asylum have a year to apply.
A State Department official told ABC News on Monday, "We are aware of the reports but we don't have any further information. We have not been in contact with the film festival organizers or the Cuban actors."
On the Facebook pages for the film and the actors, supporters have left messages of encouragement.
"Congratulations on making your dream a reality, wishing you much success in the land of the free," one person wrote.
Another wrote: "I'm glad you were able to get out. May God bless you."
A similar situation occurred in March when Yosmel de Armas, a Cuban soccer player, defected from his national team while in Tennessee for a game. Armas turned up in Miami earlier this month and is seeking asylum with the help of an immigration attorney.