Florida Fisherman Dies in Bizzare Electrocution

Turner said the Medical Examiner indicated no foul play in the death and that the initial determination was electrocution.

"I've never seen or heard of this happening -- this is a freak accident," said Chief Turner. He said the scene seemed as though it were out of an episode of Spike TV's "1000 Ways To Die."

Police say Florida Power and Light technicians examined the area and determined that the braided fishing line had more strength than a regular fishing line, so there was sufficient material to conduct electricity.

Dahm, who says he worked as a linesman and supervisor at a power company in Pennsylvania for 40 years, said he was skeptical Reeves was electrocuted.

"I didn't think a fishing line could have held enough current to kill someone; I even looked it up online and there's nothing that says a fishing line can do this," said Dahm. "Police say there was metal in it but I don't know."

Turner said, "To my knowledge there was nothing abnormal about that power pole. Some residents did say they've had their fishing poles caught on the lines but those people happen to be lucky I guess."

Rob Sumner, Communication Specialist for Progress Electric, told ABC News the incident is still under investigation.

"We've been conducting on-site investigations but what people should always remember is be aware of your surroundings especially around any type of power pole," said Sumner. "Whether you're fishing or out on the street or in a car, be careful, they're called a power pole for a reason."

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...