Hospital Ships Immigrant Stroke Victim Back to Poland

PHOTO: Wladyslaw "Walter" Haniszewski, 69, was deported to Poland while admitted to the Robert Wood Johnson University hospital in New Brunswick, N.J.

The deportation of a New Jersey immigrant is being called into question by Poland's consulate general after the man, who had lived in the U.S. for decades, was sent back to his home country after having a crippling stroke while in the hospital's care.

Wladyslaw "Walter" Haniszewski, 69, had been living in the U.S. for 27 years, most recently in Perth Amboy, N.J., when he was shipped back to Poland, his close friend Jerzy Jedra told Jedra said that about two months ago Haniszewski, who is estranged from his family in Poland, fell ill and was admitted to Robert Wood Johnson University hospital in New Brunswick, N.J. There he had a debilitating stroke and was barely able to communicate.

"I visited him every week," Jedra said. "Three weeks ago on Sunday, I was there, and he was there. I called later to the hospital to see if he was still there. And they told me that he was discharged."

Haniszewski had worked in the U.S. as a construction worker but lost his job and his home a few years ago after becoming ill with circulation problems, according to Jedra. He is currently hospitalized in the Polish town of Boleslawiec, according to the Polish consulate general. But the circumstances of his medical repatriation, and how much he knew about what was happening to him, are unclear.

Jedra said that when he last saw Haniszewski -- whom he met years ago though a Christian program he runs for immigrants out of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus in Linden, N.J. – his friend was awake, but not speaking.

"The last time I saw him .... he could communicate a little with me. He would smile if he saw me. I'd say, 'If you understand me, squeeze my hand.' He was in much better condition," he said, although he did add that half his body was paralyzed.

Jedra said that he was unsure whether or not Haniszewski was in any condition to understand that he was to be sent back to Poland.

"It's hard to say," Jedra told "I don't know if he could make the decision."

Consul General to Poland Ewa Junczyk-Ziomecka told that she and other diplomats were trying to help Haniszewski when he was shipped to Poland without their knowledge.

"We asked the hospital to consider a legal guardian for Mr. Haniszewski earlier this month," she said. "The law in New Jersey says that in such situations, a guardian is needed to make a decision about leaving the country. This is for the court to decide. The hospital did not react."

Junczyk-Ziomecka said that it wasn't until her office heard from a hospital in Boleslawiec last week that Haniszewski was there that she realized what Robert Wood Johnson University hospital had done. She said that she and her colleagues were surprised he had been shipped overseas with no one contacted.

"We had called, and sent emails and letters with basic questions: What was the legal basis? Who has approved this? Who made the decision on his behalf? Has he in any way expressed his will to be transported? If so, in what way?" she said.

Peter Haigney, director of public relations for Robert Wood Johnson University hospital, confirmed to that they had been in contact with Junczyk-Ziomecka's office.

"We were working with the consulate on this," he said.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...