ABCNews.com

New Hearing for Arkansas Inmate Sentenced as Teen

A man sentenced to life in prison without parole when he was 14 years old could end up serving a much shorter prison term after Arkansas' highest court ruled Thursday that he deserves a new sentencing hearing.

The state Supreme Court ordered a new sentencing hearing for Kuntrell Jackson, whose case was one of two that led to a U.S. Supreme Court decision last year throwing out mandatory life sentences without parole for juveniles.

"We agree with the State's concession that Jackson is entitled to the benefit of the (U.S.) Supreme Court's opinion in his own case," Justice Josephine Linker Hart wrote in the Arkansas Supreme Court's unanimous decision.

It's not clear when Jackson's new hearing will be held, but when it is, the justices said he may present evidence about his age and the nature of the crime.

Arkansas' high court also said Jackson's sentence has to fall within a range of 10 to 40 years or life.

Jackson has been in the state prison since 2003 and has more than two years of jail-time credit, prisons spokeswoman Shea Wilson said. But that doesn't necessarily mean he will be released from prison soon.

"My hunch is that there won't be an immediate release," said Bryan Stevenson, one of Jackson's attorneys. "Obviously we think there are some very compelling and mitigating circumstances that warrant a reduced sentence, but ... at this point, we don't know what the court's going to sentence, so I don't want to suggest that he's coming home tomorrow."

Jackson was sentenced to life in prison without parole after the shooting death of a store clerk during an attempted robbery in 1999. Another boy shot the clerk, but Jackson was present, and so he was convicted of capital murder and aggravated robbery.

Jackson is now 27 years old and is serving his sentence at a maximum-security prison in Arkansas. He will stay there until the Department of Correction receives instructions from the court saying otherwise, Wilson said.

The state Supreme Court also chipped away at the capital murder law when applied to juveniles in Jackson's case. In another opinion handed down Thursday, Justice Cliff Hoofman wrote that "there is currently no authorized sentence for a juvenile convicted of capital murder under Arkansas law...."

In that case, the state Supreme Court said Lemuel Whiteside, another young man sentenced to life in prison without parole, deserves a new sentencing hearing. Whiteside was convicted of capital murder and aggravated robbery in connection with a 2009 robbery and death. He was 17 at the time of the crime.

"I think there may be remaining questions that are yet to be resolved, but generally we think that what the court has ordered is consistent with the (U.S.) Supreme Court's decision," said Stevenson, a Montgomery-Ala.-based lawyer.

Prior to the U.S. Supreme Court's June decision, the court had already ruled that juveniles cannot be sentenced to death.

Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel respects the state Supreme Court's decisions and wasn't surprised by them, spokesman Aaron Sadler said.

The U.S. Supreme Court's June decision came in the robbery and murder cases of Jackson and Evan Miller, who also was 14 when he was convicted and sentenced to life without parole.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook
Comment & Contribute
Do you have more information about this topic? If so, please click here to contact the editors of ABC News.
 
You Might Also Like...
Connect with Us
Social Tools Facebook Twitter Twitter Connect with Us YouTube RSS
ABC News Newsletters
 
Today in ABC News
1