The president and first lady Michelle Obama began the afternoon by meeting privately with family members of those killed last week on this enormous Army post. The Obamas also were meeting with those wounded in the attack and released from the hospital, along with their families, before the president was to speak at the outdoor memorial service.
Lt. Gen. Robert Cone spoke first at the memorial, saying that the military community will "never be accustomed to losing one of their own."
"Among them they had 19 children and one had a child on the way. They had hobbies that ranged from playing the guitar and drums to snowboarding," said Cone of the victims. "Each brought joy to family and friends, but the biggest strength they had in common was to volunteer to be part of something bigger than themselves."
"Our army family deeply mourns the loss of your lost ones," said Cone.
Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan allegedly went on a fatal shooting spree on Nov. 5, killing 13 and injuring 43.
Witnesses to Thursday's massacre at Fort Hood said the alleged shooter, who is Muslim, appeared calm and shouted "Allahu Akbar!" ("God is Great!") before opening fire at a crowd of young soldiers gathering at the post's Soldier Readiness Center.
The center is a known gathering place for soon-to-be deployed troops needing last minute dental or medical care.
Among those gathered for the service were four members of a neaby mosque.
"We are partners in the healing process," Maj. John Zavage, an Arabic-speaking specialist in Middle Eastern affairs who came to transport four members of the mosque of the Islamic Community of Greater Kileen onto the post, told ABC News.
Dr. Mansoor Farooqi, a pediatrician and president of the mosque, as well as the co-founder Ofman Danquah attended the memorial service along with two other members of the mosque.
Hasan had worked for the military as a psychiatrist, and was set to deploy at the end of the month to Afghanistan. In the days preceeding the attack, Hasan had reportedly given away all of his furniture to neighbors and had handed out copies of the Koran.
Hasan, who himself is recovering from several gunshot wounds he sustained in an exchange with a responding officer who ended the rampage, is currently in stable conidtion at the Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas.
The officer who shot Hasan, 34-year-old Sgt. Kimberly Munley, is recovering from bullet wounds to her left thigh, right thigh and wrist. Munley, a mother of two, was feared to be unlikely to survive after doctors at Metroplex Hospital saw her lose a tremendous amount of blood.
Dozens of other soldiers injured in the assault continue to recover at Carl R. Darnell Army Medical Center.
Legal counsel for Hasan, retired Army colonel and former military judge John P. Galligan, spoke with his client Monday and said Hasan will not be talking to investigators at this time.
The lawyer said he intends to make sure that Hasan's rights are protected, and to that end has asked federal authorities to stay away from his client. Galligan also said that Hasan's defense counsel will request its own investigator as well as paralegal assistance to conduct its own investigation into last week's attack.