Transcript for Urgent warning for parents regarding antihistamines
front moves out. Now, to an urgent warning to parents about a dangerous practice that some health officials say is becoming more and more common. Giving children medicines to make them sleepy. Here's ABC's Eva pilgrim. Reporter: Tonight, growing concern over infant deaths blamed on benadryl. Police say a lethal dose killed 4-month-old Adam Segall. When we found out that it was in his system, I were in complete shock. Reporter: Police say the baby died in March at Carol Cardillo's unlicensed home day care after getting an overdose of benadryl. We were completely betrayed. We couldn't believe that someone we trusted with the care of our son would do something like that. Reporter: Segall the latest infant to die after being given the drug. In Ohio, this mom was charged with involuntary manslaughter after her 3-month-old died in March from a suspected overdose. And just this week, a Columbus babysitter pleaded guilty to killing 8-month-old haddix Mulkey after giving him benadryl to sleep. It should never, ever be used as a sleep aid. This is not a sleep aid. It is not indicated as a sleep aid. Reporter: The fda does not recommend giving benadryl to children younger than 2 because of the potentially life-threatening risks. Even for those older than 2, medical professionals say it needs to be appropriately dosed based on the child's size. Parents think, well, it's safe because it's not a prescription. That's not the case. These drugs can be very dangerous. Reporter: As for little Adam Segall's case, the daycare owner rejected a plea deal this week, her case is now expected to go to trial in November. Tom? Eva, thank you Much more still ahead on
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.