Devastating loss of life in Charleston, West Virginia nearly every member of the family lost in a fire that broke out in the middle of the night. When the sun came up this is what the home in... See More
Devastating loss of life in Charleston, West Virginia nearly every member of the family lost in a fire that broke out in the middle of the night. When the sun came up this is what the home in Charleston look like neighbors looking on with stunned faces saddened and we learned today. There were no smoke detectors near the bedrooms not on the second floor at all. The mayor said late today they didn't have a chance tonight eight people are dead six of them children another child is on life support. And there was something else we learned today that authorities urge every American to take note of that you need more than a smoke detector in your bedroom you need one right outside the bedroom door. ABC's -- nine in the is on the scene tonight in West Virginia arena. Good evening David if your -- that the bodies of the dad removed from the home behind me look like statues frozen in time. Despite the fact the fire department arrived here who minutes after the first call. They didn't have any chance of survival. The fire began around 3:30 AM on the bottom who -- of the house and neighbor phoned 911. The home was engulfed in flames by the time help arrived this is the worst house our history of the city of Charleston eight people. -- and I house police believe two sisters in their seven children lived in the house. One sister Lisa Carter and her boyfriend were staying overnight at the house. They died in the fire. Today would've been -- 27 birthday there was only. One. Working smoke detector it was not. Bolted up on the ceiling -- It was -- count inspectors were scheduled to check the smoke alarms at the home on February 28 but there was no we -- home to less than Mitt. This deadly fire follows another one last Christmas in Connecticut. With three children in two adults died when hot embers from the fireplace -- disposed of improperly. There were no signs of the smoke detectors in the home. Fire officials say smoke detectors are -- -- -- saving lives almost two thirds of home fire deaths occur in homes without working smoke alarms. Smoke detectors should be installed in every bedroom and separate detectors outside every sleeping area. Test them every month and replace the batteries each year. What can people across America -- see this story learning to walk away from this horrible situation. They should have the smoke detectors. In their homes and and wherever they rent. And and that should be the the absolute minimum. Fire investigators have ruled out -- they believe they will be able to determine the origin of this fire. And tonight they continue searching for more clues.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.