Dec 29, 2009 1:57pm
I'm sure there are some glaring omissions, but here are my 11 favorite songs of the year:
1. Sleigh Bells, "Rill Rill": Don't call it "Ring Ring." This band deserves all the hype they're getting.
2. Phantogram, "Mouthful of Diamonds": Straight outta Upstate New York.
3. Metric, "Stadium Love": A genuine anthem.
4. Brakesbrakesbrakes, "Two Shocks": Brian Williams and I both love this song, apparently.
5. Doves, "Lifelines": I have a real weakness for this type of thing.
6. Noisettes, "Beat of my Heart": This singer is a star.
7. Julian Casablancas, "11th Dimension": Dude from Strokes ups the synthy cheese factor, successfully.
8. Islands, "Heartbeat": Best use of autotune in indie rock. Sorry Justin.
9. We Have Band, "Oh!": Former back room workers at Elektra break out. (Their debut full length album is expected early 2010. You can download a new track from it here.)
10. Avett Brothers, "I and Love and You": Echoes of the Band.
11. The Big Pink, "Dominos": A banger.