Lest there be any notions that Ricky Gervais might tone down his Golden Globe repertoire this time around, take a gander at the picture above, taken earlier this week. “The Office” mastermind/soon to be three-time Globes host posted it on Twitter saying, “Some last minute preparation so I don’t look out of place at The Golden Globes.” Clearly, he’s coming out swinging.
Ahead of Sunday’s ceremony, refresh your memory of Gervais’ most outrageous jokes from last year’s Golden Globes:
1. On Hugh Hefner: “There’s been some great new TV dramas this year, like ‘Boardwalk Empire’ and ‘The Walking Dead.’ Talking of the walking dead, congratulations to Hugh Hefner, who is getting married at age 84 to 24-year-old beauty Crystal Harris. When asked why she was marrying him, she said, ‘Because he lied about his age. I thought he was 94.’ Oh, come on. Don’t worry, hold out, just don’t look at it when you touch it.”
2. On Charlie Sheen: “It’s going to be a night of partying and heavy drinking — or, as Charlie Sheen calls it, breakfast. Wow, so let’s get this straight, so what he did was, he picked up a porn star, paid her to have dinner with him, introduced her to his ex-wife — as you do — went to a hotel, got drunk, got naked, trashed the place while she was locked in a cupboard, and that was a Monday. What did he do New Year’s Eve?”
3. On “Sex and the City 2:” “I was sure the Golden Globe for special effects would go to the team that airbrushed that poster … Great job. Girls, we know how old you are. I saw one of you in an episode of ‘Bonanza.’”
4. On “I Love You Phillip Morris:” “Also not nominated, ‘I Love You Phillip Morris,’ Jim Carey and Ewan McGregor, two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay — so the complete opposite of some famous Scientologists … probably. My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke.”
5. On “The Tourist:” “It was a big year for 3D movies. “Toy Story,” “Despicable Me,” “Tron.” Seems like everything this year was three-dimensional. Except the characters in ‘The Tourist.’ I feel bad about that joke. No, I tell you what, I’m jumping on the bandwagon, because I haven’t even seen ‘The Tourist.’ Who has? But, no, it must be good because it’s nominated, so shut up, okay? And I’d like to quash this ridiculous rumor going ’round that the only reason “The Tourist” was nominated was so that the Hollywood Foreign Press of could hang out with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. That was rubbish. That was not the only reason: they also accepted bribes.
6. On those “bribes” and Cher: “All that happened was some of them were taken to see Cher in concert. How the hell is that a bribe, really? ‘Do you want to go and see Cher? No? Why not?’ Because it’s not 1975!”
7. On Bruce Willis: “You know our next presenter from such films as “Hudson Hawk,” “Look Who’s Talking,” “Mercury Rising,” “Color of Night,” “The Fifth Element,” and “Heart’s War.” Please welcome Ashton Kutcher’s dad, Bruce Willis!”