Meet Ginger Zee, the new “GMA” weather editor. Zee, previously the “GMA” weekend meteorologist, is a true weather junkie, always rushing toward the eye of any storm. But when she’s not braving the elements, Zee, 32, is a force of nature all on her own. Here are 10 things you should know about Ginger.
1. Ginger was born in California, but grew up in Michigan.
2. She is named after Ginger from “Gilligan’s Island.” When her dad moved here from the Netherlands, he watched “Gilligan’s Island” to learn English and Ginger was his favorite character.
3. Ginger became passionate about weather when she was a kid watching storms over Lake Michigan.
4. She played the oboe when she was little.
5. Growing up, she was a competitive cheerleader.
6. Her favorite snack is cottage cheese, peas and crackers (together!).
7. When she’s stressed, she watches old episodes of “Beverly Hills 90210″ to relax.
8. She does squats while brushing her teeth.
9. She is a diehard Phillip Phillips fan. She also loves Elvis.
10. Her black lab, Otis, is her best friend.