‘Two and a Half Men’ Child Star ‘Was a Paid Hypocrite’

By ABC News

Mar 18, 2014 10:01am

Angus T. Jones had the career any actor would dream of as just a young child: a role on a hit TV show that earned him millions of dollars.

The former “Two and a Half Men” star walked away from it all last year, including his status as the highest paid child actor on TV, and now says he has no regrets.

WATCH: ‘Two and a Half Men’ Star Calls Show ‘Filth’

“I was a paid hypocrite because I wasn’t OK with it and I was still doing it,” Jones, 20, said Monday in an interview with a TV station in Houston, where he was speaking at the World Harvest Outreach Church.

The now-bearded Jones  told the station he is much more fulfilled in his life now as a devout Christian and college student at the University of Colorado-Boulder.

“It was making light of topics in our world that are really problems for a lot of people,” Jones said of “Men,” in which he starred as Jake Harper, the irreverent nephew of Charlie Sheen, who was later replaced on the show by Ashton Kutcher.

READ MORE: What’s Next for Angus T. Jones?

Jones, who starred on the show since its 2003 premiere and earned a reported $300,000 per episode, first spoke out against the CBS sitcom in a 2012 YouTube video in which he called the show “filth” and begged people to stop watching.

“Jake from ‘Two and a Half Men’ means nothing,” he said in the video. “He is a nonexistent character. If you watch ‘Two and a Half Men,’ please stop watching ‘Two and a Half Men.’ I’m on ‘Two and a Half Men’ and I don’t want to be on it.”

Jones made his comments in an interview with the Forerunner Chronicles about his religious awakening. In the nearly 15-minute long video, he also talks about taking an “all inclusive evangelism class” and coming to the realization that “God is good.”

At the time, Jones, who had recently joined a Seventh-Day Adventist church, said he realized his faith was at odds with his work.

RELATED: Angus T. Jones Apologizes to Co-Stars

He later released an apology for his YouTube comments but was dropped as a series regular while he left to attend school.  He officially left the show last year.

Though Jones said in his most recent interview that he doesn’t regret leaving the show, he does indicate one regret from his notably public departure.

“I just totally insulted his baby and, to that degree, I am apologetic,” Jones said of series creator Chuck Lorre.  “Otherwise, I don’t regret what I said.”

“Two and a Half Men” is now in its 11th season.

 

 

SHOWS:
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus