New Al Qaeda Message Expected As Terror Anxieties Already High in Europe

By Hoda Osman

Dec 18, 2006 11:53am

With European law enforcement officials warning of an imminent holiday terror attack, Web sites associated with al Qaeda announced today that the group’s second-in-command, Ayman al-Zawahiri, is about to issue a new statement entitled "the truths about the clash between Islam and atheism." According to the Associated Press, John Reid, Britain’s top law enforcement official, said Sunday that it was "highly likely" that terrorists would attempt to mount an attack over the holiday period, when the number of travelers swells. He gave no other details. The head of Britain’s domestic spy agency MI5, Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller, has said her agents are tracking almost 30 terrorist plots involving 1,600 suspects, and that at least five major terror plots had been thwarted since the July 2005 transit bomb attacks in London. THE BLOTTER RECOMMENDS British Spy Chief Reveals Hunt for Dozens of Suicide Bombers Zawahiri Was Target in U.S. Attack on Religious School in Pakistan Click Here for to Check Out the Brian Ross Investigative Webcast Zawahiri’s statement is being advertised by al Sahab, the production wing for al Qaeda.  Typically, the statements are released a few days after being advertised by al Sahab, which would put this message out right before the Christmas holiday weekend begins. Click Here for Full Blotter Coverage. Al  Zawahiri’s last 11 statements were video releases. The last we heard from al Zawahiri was about two months ago at the end of September. In that statement, Zawahiri pontificated about the new Pope and the crisis in Darfur.

You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus