GOP Lawmakers Demand Probe of ABC News Story

By Justin Rood

Jun 6, 2007 4:16pm

A group of House Republicans are calling for an investigation into "the release of sensitive information" in a recent ABC News report on CIA covert activities against Iran. In a carefully worded request, seven House GOP lawmakers led by Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., asked the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee to "look into the releasing of sensitive information and its impact on the security of our nation, the performance of our government agencies, and the viability of our diplomatic relationships overseas." Citing an ABC News story last month about a White House-authorized "non-lethal" operation against the Islamic Republic of Iran, the septet asserted, "We have an obligation to ensure the offenders are held accountable." THE BLOTTER RECOMMENDS Blotter Bush Authorizes New Covert Action Against Iran Blotter GOP Candidates Criticize ABC News Report on CIA-Iran Plan Click Here to Check Out Brian Ross Slideshows However, the letter did not ask for the committee’s investigation to identify ABC News’ sources. Following the broadcast of the report, ABC News said, "In the six days since we first contacted the CIA and the White House, at no time did they indicate that broadcasting this report would jeopardize lives or operations on the ground. ABC News management gave them the repeated opportunity to make whatever objection they wanted to regarding our report. They chose not to." "This piece was very carefully reported, and it puts solid facts on the table concerning a crucial foreign policy challenge facing the United States and the world" ABC News said. Today’s letter from McHenry and six other lawmakers is the second call for a congressional investigation sparked by the report. Click Here for Full Blotter Coverage. Last month, congressman and presidential hopeful Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., called for a probe into who leaked the information and "condemned" ABC News for "running the story which could jeopardize American lives." Fellow GOP White House aspirant Mitt Romney also made a public statement that he was "shocked" by the story.

You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus