Islamic Web Site: Al Qaeda in North Africa Claims Responsibility for Algeria Bombings

Dec 11, 2007 5:34pm

The group that claimed responsibility for two bombings in Algeria just months ago is now saying it is responsible for Tuesday’s massive bombings in Algeria’s capital that killed at least 60 people on Tuesday, a jihadist Web site says. Al Qaeda in North Africa, known as al Qaeda in Bilad al Maghrib al Islami, posted photos on a jihadist Web site of two of its men it says are the suicide bombers responsible for Tuesday’s attacks. One of the men is smiling while holding an AK-47 in one hand, and a gun in the other. The other man in the photo stares blankly while holding an AK-47. Click Here for Full Blotter Coverage. The al Qaeda Web site contains a statement saying it brings "good news" of suicide operations that killed at least 60 and injured scores in "the ranks of the Crusaders and apostates." Earlier this year, al Qaeda’s No. 2 man, Ayman al Zawahri, called for the young men of North Africa to oppose their governments. In September, al Qaeda in North Africa claimed responsibility for two bombings that killed more than 50 people. One of Tuesday’s blasts hit near the Constitutional Court in Algiers. The other bomb went off near the United Nations buildings in the Hydra district of Algiers, killing as many as five U.N. employees, according to the AP. This post has been updated.
Do you have a tip for Brian Ross and the Investigative Team?

You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus